Monday, February 14, 2011

Tie your shoes

It used to be children and elderly people wore slip-on shoes because they didn't have the dexterity or flexibility to tie their own shoes. Now it seems like everyone wears slip on shoes, even if there are laces. This mostly applies to men, because women still put effort into presenting themselves, where men's fashion has basically turned into a contest to see who can be, or look, the most lazy.

This mainly applies to trainers (athletic shoes or sneakers). It all started with skateboard shoes becoming mainstream. Apparently in skateboarding, it's a good idea to have shoes that fall off while you're airborne. But soon, everyone began wearing these shoes, and never tying them. I was among them. This trend progressed, and the act of leaving the shoes untied has gone to basketball shoes, boots, and even "dressy" tennis shoes. I've even seen shoes that are designed to look like they have laces but possess none.

Why should I tie my shoes?
There are many reasons to tie your shoes, and I'll explain a few of them here. Of course this doesn't apply to loafers, drivers, pumps, and other shoes designed without laces.

  • Foot health
  • Shoe longevity
  • Comfort

Foot health
Many people do not know how to fit shoes to their feet. Some people may not even know why they should know. Shoes serve a purpose, and that is to protect your feet from dangers on the ground and the environment. But shoes are not natural, and can impede the natural movement of the foot. Fitting shoes properly to your feet will help your foot move more naturally, and avoid future foot problems. But even if your shoe fits properly, it will not perform properly unless the shoe is tied.

Some shoes are designed without laces, and they were meant for specific purposes - like driving, lounging around, or attending galas. These shoes are not meant for much walking. If you are walking, or running, you should wear shoes with laces.

Shoe longevity
A side effect of not tying your shoes, or tying them loosely and wearing them like slip-ons, is that the back of the shoe gets collapsed over time. This can even happen with lace-ups (why you should have a shoe horn), but it is especially the case with slip-on shoes. The heel tab and/or Achilles notch will become compressed, leaving stress points and even fraying seams. I encourage taking care of your property, including your clothes, to save money, time, and even the environment. The longer your shoes remain in good care, the more value you receive for your dollar.

Comfort
Another side effect of slipping on shoes is also related to foot health. Shoes worn loosely might feel more comfortable, but as you wear them they will wear on your feet. Lose shoes create friction, which can cause sores, bunions, and blisters. Shoes made for slipping on are designed differently than lace-up shoes, so this doesn't usually apply, but even with these, they will rub your feet. Just ask any women who wore pumps all day.

How should I tie my shoes?
This is the fun part. I created a helpful video to show you three ways shoes are tied, and why each one is better than the last. I start with the standard shoe lace knot, and then show you a modified version of it that lays flatter on the shoe. Then I finish up with my preferred knot, which I borrowed for Ian's Shoelace Site years ago. It's called Ian's Secure Shoelace Knot. It is the best shoelace knot I've ever used. I use it on my hiking boots and my dress lace-ups. It lays flat, it never comes loose, and it is released just as quickly as other knots.

I have a good friend who works with middle-school aged active boys and I showed him this knot and he uses it on his kids now and loves it.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate this blog to share knowledge about this important topic. Here I found different segments and now I am going to use these new tips with new enthusiasm.
    รองเท้า เพื่อ สุขภาพ

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete