Monday, November 22, 2010

Get on a budget

This is a guest post from Tim Kippel:

How to get on a budget is easy, I can point you to some helpful websites and say, “There you go!” So maybe the question isn’t “How?” but “Why?” Maybe this “Why” comes to your attention when you start getting overdraft notices in the mail or your inbox. Or maybe you finally get around to looking at your accounts and say, “Where the hell did all my money go?!” It could even be that you feel strapped even though you make more money than all of your friends. For me it was a combination of all these things that pushed me to taking a harder look at budgeting.

Why should I get on a budget?

Not only do taxes eat up our hard earned money, but wasteful spending is also to blame. I’ve been one of those types that makes spontaneous purchases. Like that gal Uncle Rico in Napoleon Dynamite is trying to sell Tupperware too, and lures her into the purchase by saying he’d throw in the wooden schooner; I too go, “I want that!” What would help me is to make a list of those things that I want, and sitting on it for awhile just to see if my feelings change. I’m not talking about the essentials like groceries, but those big ticket items - or even small ticket items - ones that I can truly live without. Want vs. Need.

Taking control of your spending takes discipline. Something that I’m not quite “there” with just yet. And if you’re married, living on a budget isn’t something that only one of you has to do - you must truly work as a team to make it work.

Just like being disciplined to a (good) workout regimen will yield results, so will budgeting. And much like physical fitness, budgeting is also trying. Knowing where you spend your money, and having a plan for spending money brings with it peace. Yes even if you have to turn down a fun weekend trip with friends because “It’s just not in the budget.”

So take control of your finances before they take control of you.

Are you living to work or working to live?

Here are some resources:

  • Mint keeps tabs on all your spending with handy smartphone apps
  • Crown Financial Ministries offers useful budgeting tools and calculators
  • Dave Ramsey had downloadable budgeting forms to help you plan your spending

No comments:

Post a Comment